Implant Retained Dentures – Norman, OK
Extensive tooth loss can be devastating to every part of your day-to-day life. You may find it difficult to share a smile with a friend, eat a nutritious meal, and speak up with confidence in any personal or professional situation. At the Norman dental office of Bobby J. Carmen, DDS, we offer tooth replacement solutions to repair smiles no matter how many teeth you’ve lost. In addition to traditional tooth replacement options, we also offer advanced dental implant tooth replacement solutions. If you’re ready to repair your smile from the roots up, call Dr. Carmen and his dental team in Norman to schedule your tooth replacement consultation with our skilled and friendly dentistry team.
What is an Implant Retained Denture?
Traditional dentures are tooth replacement solutions crafted using a gum-colored base material to support any number of replacement teeth. Partial dentures are molded to fill the gaps in your smile, and they are held in place with clasps attached to surrounding teeth. Full dentures don’t have any healthy teeth to provide support, so they are crafted to create function between the gums and denture base that holds the prosthetic in place. Both types of traditional, removable dentures rely on surrounding teeth and oral structures to support the replacement teeth. Dental implant supported dentures use four to six dental implant posts to replace the lost roots, offering fully self-sustaining, flawless results. Some of the reasons patients prefer implant supported dentures to traditional prosthetics include:
- Long-lasting – traditional dentures should be replaced every five to ten years to ensure optimal results, but implant supported dentures will last for two decades or longer with proper care.
- Better function – the dental implant posts replace the supportive root structures of teeth, providing added stability. Traditional dentures replace about 20% of your healthy chewing ability, but an implant supported denture restores 70% or more.
- Easy care – you can brush your implant dentures just like healthy teeth. No need to remove your dentures overnight or invest in cleaning solutions.
Am I a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
Thanks to advances in dental implant techniques and technologies, we can offer implant supported dentures for almost any patient. The ideal candidate will meet all of the following criteria:
- Relatively good oral and overall health
- Approval from general physician for surgical treatment
- Complete a review of prescription medications and adjustments made as necessary to ensure successful treatment
- No past negative responses to surgical treatment
- Commitment to complete the advanced implant supported denture treatment process
How Much do Implant Dentures Cost?
The cost of your dental implant supported treatment plan will vary, depending on your unique situation. Some of the variables that impact the cost of your tooth replacement plan include:
- Whether or not you need a partial or full denture and the materials used to create your prosthetics
- The number of dental implant posts you need and the materials used to craft the implants, typically titanium or zirconia
- Whether or not you need preparatory tooth extractions or tissue grafts
- Whether or not you opt for dental sedation to maintain comfort
How do I Care for My Implant Denture?
Caring for your implant denture is pretty straightforward. You can brush your dentures just like you would your healthy teeth. To improve the longevity of your denture and reduce the risk for gum disease that can impact your dental implants, we may recommend using an air or water flosser to remove bacteria and plaque between your denture and gums.